A newlywed guy and his brother were killed when a home theatre they received as a gift exploded in flames, according to police in India's Chhattisgarh state.

According to sources, the pair received the music system from the bride's ex-lover, who was supposedly enraged that his former sweetheart was getting married.

Hemendra Merawi died Monday after turning on the music system in his Kabirdham district home. Rajkumar, his elder brother, died as a result of his injuries.

Four other family members, including an 18-month-old child, were hurt and taken to a local hospital for treatment.

The blast was so intense that it apparently took down the house's roof and walls.

Sarju Markam, 33, was captured in the neighbouring state of Madhya Pradesh shortly after the incident.

According to Indian media, the suspect, a father of two, was dating the 29-year-old woman and wanted her to be his second wife.

She declined to marry him after discovering the truth. "However, he continued to threaten her with marriage," police said.

The suspect is believed to have placed the music system on a podium alongside other gifts during the ceremony.

He eventually confessed to authorities that he had rigged the gift with explosives to target his ex-lover and her man.

"He used ammonium nitrate, gasoline, and gunpowder from firecrackers." He packaged it as a present to escape suspicion. "The blast was triggered when the system was turned on," police said.