Liver stew is a classic dish that is both hearty and nutritious. The key to making a delicious liver stew is to start with high-quality ingredients and to cook the liver slowly to ensure that it is tender and flavorful.
• 1 lb of beef liver
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
Did you read this?
• 2 cups of beef broth
• 1 cup of red wine
• 2 cups of chopped carrots
• 2 cups of chopped potatoes
• 1 cup of frozen peas
• 2 tablespoons of flour
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Start by heating the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pot and cook until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
3. While the onions and garlic are cooking, cut the liver into small, thin slices.
4. Once the onions and garlic are softened, add the liver slices to the pot and stir to coat with the oil and onions.
5. Cook the liver for about 5 minutes, or until it is browned on both sides.
6. Add the flour to the pot and stir to coat the liver.
7. Slowly pour in the beef broth and red wine, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
8. Add the chopped carrots and potatoes to the pot and bring the stew to a simmer.
9. Cover the pot and simmer the stew for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
10. Finally, stir in the frozen peas and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until they are heated through.
11. Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste.
12. Serve the stew hot, with a side of crusty bread to soak up the delicious gravy.
This recipe can be adjusted to your taste, you can add more or less vegetables and adjust the seasoning to your liking. The liver should be cooked gently to keep it tender and not rubbery, the cooking time will depend on the thickness of the slices you cut. You can also use different types of liver, like chicken or pork, and use different liquids like chicken or vegetable broth. It's a simple recipe that yields a delicious and nutritious meal for the whole family.